Rosehips (Rosa canina) and Hawthorns (Crataegus monogyna) are in abundance here in West Cork, one of our favourite family recipes at this time of year is to make 'Hips and Haws' a traditional remedy (and delicious one too) for keeping colds and flu's at bay.
To make Hips and Haws Tonic you will need a large saucepan, a bag of sugar (2Kg) and roughly a colander of hawthorns washed and about half a colander of rosehips and 3-4 cloves
· Wash all the rosehips and hawthorns, remove any twigs, branches and leaves
· Fill a saucepan with 6 pints of water, and bring to the boil
· Stir in all the sugar until it has dissolved
· Add the hawthorns and Rosehips and bring to the boil
· Simmer for 3-4 hours and add the cloves to taste
· Turn off the heat and leave to steep overnight
· The next day sieve the contents of the saucepan, and put the liquid back onto boil and reduce to a lovely thick syrupy consistency.
· Bottle in sterilised glass bottles
· Serve like a cordial so 2 tablespoons in a glass with either still or sparkling water
Its never been as easier to keep a cold at bay